Taste of Summer-Fresh Blueberry Muffins!
My neighbors brought over the most wonderful bag of fresh picked blueberries the other day, and I knew I had to make these muffins! I just love streusel topping!
These muffins are so great, since the ingredients are pretty much pantry staples!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons white sugar (*)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced
(*)The only thing that I did differently is use vanilla sugar for the streusel topping. Vanilla sugar is very easy to make- just put sugar in an air tight container with a vanilla bean- let sit for at least a month. The longer it sits the more ‘vanillay’ it gets.) You can also buy vanilla sugar and all sorts of other amazing spices at my fave spicehouse.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Combine 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. In a small bowl, sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons flour over blueberries, and set aside. (This simple trick will keep you from having “purple” batter)
- In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter with 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, and stir in vanilla and lemon zest. Fold in dry ingredients alternately with milk. Fold in blueberries. Remember, fold gently, don’t stir. Spoon batter into prepared cups.
- Combine 2 tablespoons flour, 5 tablespoons sugar ,and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter with fork or pastry blender until mixture resembles course crumbs. Sprinkle over batter in muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack. These muffins freeze really well, and re-heat in the microwave successfully.
These muffins are soft and moist- and because of the flour trick the muffins actually stay MUFFIN colored- rather than taking on a purple undertone!
There’s nothing better than starting the day with a fresh blueberry muffin- but why stop at starting the day- I have found these to be a wonderful mid day snack, as well as yummy dessert with a dollop of ice cream. I don’t think any of this batch will make the freezer!!
Hope Everyone has a Happy Weekend!!